Hadith on Encouraging moderation and being judicious in seeking provision, and censure of greed and love of wealth.
From the book 'At-Targhib wa’t-Tarhib' by Imam Mundhiri.
582. Abu Humayd as-Sa‘idi [RA] reported that the Messenger of
Allah [SAWS] said, “Be moderate in seeking this world. Each is eased to that which was created for him.” (Ibn Majah, Abu’sh-Shaykh and al-Hakim transmitted it as “Each is eased to that of it which was written for him.”
583. Abu Hurayra [RA] reported that the Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said, “O people, wealth does not consist in having a lot of goods, but wealth is wealth of the self. Allah gives to His slave whatever provision is written for him; be moderate in seeking, and take the lawful and leave the unlawful.” (Abu Ya’la. Its isnad is good. The beginning is agreed upon.)
584. Abu’d-Darda’ [RA] said, “The Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said, ‘Provision seeks out the slave just as his appointed time seeks him out.’” (Ibn Hibban, al-Bazzar and at-Tabarani whose wording is “Provision seeks out the slave more than his term seeks him out.”)
585. Abu Sa‘id al-Khudri [RA] said, “The Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said, ‘Even if one of you were to flee from his provision, it would overtake him just as death will overtake him.’” (At-Tabarani in al-Awsat and as-Saghir with a hasan isnad)
586. Sa‘d ibn Abi Waqqas [RA] said, “I heard the Messenger of Allah [SAWS] say, ‘The best dhikr is that which is hidden and the best provision is what suffices.’” (Abu ‘Awana and Ibn Hibban)
587. Ka’b ibn Malik [RA] said, “The Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said, ‘No two hungry wolves released among sheep are likely to cause more devastation to them than the greed of a man for money and honour cause to his deen.’” (At-Tirmidhi and Ibn Hibban who both say it is sahih.)
588. Abu Hurayra [RA] reported that the Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said,
“O Allah, I seek refuge with You from knowledge that is not useful, a heart that is not humble, a self that is never satisfied and a supplication that is not answered.” (An-Nasa’i. Muslim and at-Tirmidhi narrate it in a hadith from Zayd ibn Arqam [RA])
589. Anas [RA] said, “The Messenger of Allah [SAWS] said, ‘If the son of Adam had two valleys full of wealth, he would want a third. Nothing will fill the belly of the son of Adam but earth. Allah turns to whoever turns in repentance to Him.’” (Agreed upon)